October brings reasons to celebrate! To celebrate festivals, the node between the summers and winters is just so perfect. If a trip is at the back of your mind you and are wondering about where to go on a holiday in October in India, there are a host of places to choose from. Why not celebrate traveling in this auspicious month of the Hindu calendar and make it memorable? Starting from the hills in the north to the warm shores of the south, this month is certainly the best time in the year to travel. So without further ado let's explore the 10 most beautiful places to visit in India in the month of October to feel the true festivities sense of the country's culture.
Experience An Extravagant Navratri Celebration In Vadodara
In cities like Vadodara, Navratri is synonymous with Dandiya and Garba dance parties. Navratri, as the name suggests, Navratri spans nine days of extravagant India festival devoted to the goddess Durga. As the legend goes, Durga battled the demon Mahishasur for nine days, killing him on the tenth day, which is known as Dussehra. Days before the festival, enthusiasts practice moves and source the right kind of clothes in order to put on a fabulous show at Navratri events. This is one festival perhaps most boisterously celebrated by the Gujarati community.
Image Credit: Outlook India
Things To Do:
- Be a part of the grand celebration of Navratri at United Way of Baroda and Vadodara Navratri Festival.
- Visit and explore places like Laxmi Vilas Palace and Kirti Mandir, Shop at Khanderao market which offers a variety of different things.
- While in Gujarat, the best things to eat is available in the form of street food. Binge on delicious Sev Usal at Jay Mahakali Sev Usal, have a taste of Farsan which includes various kinds of namkeens and khaman or dhokla, khandvi, and other delicacies.
Baroda or Vadodara has great connectivity and it can be reached through railways, roadways and as well as the airway. The city has a railway station, a bus station and the nearest airport is Vadodara Airport.
Happening On: Sep 29th – Oct 07th, 2019
Be A Part Of A Unique Celebration Of Kullu Dussehra In Kullu
Festive celebrations in the mountains are always mesmerizing! Dussehra celebration in Kullu is so beautiful and grand that it would entice you to come back and back again to witness the true grandeur of this mega festival. During this international mega Dussehra festival, a palanquin carries the idol of Lord Raghunath and folks dance in their local dresses and celebrate. Not only the festival but also you'll have a chance to witness the true magnificence of the mother nature. During this period the mountains showcase a much greener side and give away a feeling of freshness.
Image Credit: Himalayan Kraft
Things To Do:
- While enjoying the fresh-looking Kullu, be a part of the grand celebration of Kullu Dussehra.
- Kullu surely offers a lot and around 15 km away is the famous Basheshwar Mahadev temple which has been attracting a lot of tourists over a long time period.
- Have a spiritual experience at Gurudwara Manikaran Sahib and Shiv Temple in Manikaran. Hot water natural springs are the other attractions here.
- The nearest railway station is Joginder Nagar railway station.
- The nearest airport is Bhuntar airport.
- State buses travel from Delhi, Shimla, Pathankot, Ambala, etc.
Happening On: 08th – 15th October 2019
Be A Part Of The Exuberant Celebrations Of Dussehra In Mysore
October comes with the happiness of festivities, delicious food opportunities, and fancy clothes. Mysore being a tourist attraction turns into such a divine spectacle with all the grand celebrations of Dussehra going around. This is a 10-day long celebration in which the city is flooded with tourists who just want to indulge in the classic Mysore Dasara. This festival includes parades of decorated elephants, one of them carrying the idol of Goddess Chamundeshwari which is the one thing to be witnessed for sure.
Image Credit: Holidify.com
Things To Do:
- The grandiose celebration of Dussehra or Mysore Dasara should be on your to-do list.
- Apart from Mysore Palace, Jaganmohan Palace, Karanji Lake, and Mysore zoo attract a lot of tourists.
- During the festive month, Mysore palace’s ground is the hub for the celebration of folk songs and dances.
- The city has connectivity with almost every Indian state and can be reached by road, air, and rail.
- The nearest railway station is Mysore railway station and the nearest airport is in Banglore which connects to every state of India. Roadways are the best way to reach a given destination.
Happening On: Sep 29th – Oct 08th, 2019
Add An Exotic Touch To Your Trip With Dhanushkodi
The endpoint of India, close to Sri Lanka and near to Rameshwaram, Dhanushkodi is hauntingly gorgeous and is one of the offbeat places to visit in India. Once this place was blessed with the existence of beautiful creatures and people but after 1964 when a cyclone hit it, everything was destroyed and washed away. After that unfortunate night, the government declared the region unfit to live. Now just being a tourist attraction the place welcomes explorers on 4 wheelers and 2 wheelers who can linger in the daytime here.
Image Credit: Saakshi Rajat
Things To Do:
- When on this secluded yet beautiful beach, you can witness the Ram- Setu bridge but unfortunately not experience it.
- Since Dhanushkodi is near Rameshwaram and the best way to reach Rameshwaram is through the Pamban Bridge.
- Visit to Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park is a must.
- Since Rameshwaram is a spiritual land visit to various temples like Ramanathaswamy temple is a must.
- Other than that, visit the House of Kalam.
- Since there is no direct connectivity to Dhanushkodi, the nearest place is Rameshwaram.
- Rameshwaram has rail connectivity with every corner of Tamil Nadu as well as major cities. Dhanushkodi is around 19 km. Trains take an hour to reach here. The nearest railway station is Rameshwaram railway station.
- The nearest airport is in Madurai and it is convenient for travelers coming from far off regions. A drive from the airport to Rameshwaram or directly to Dhanushkodi.
Delve Into The Rich Folk Culture in Jodhpur
The Blue City, Jodhpur in Rajasthan, attracts a lot of wanderers and photography enthusiasts. With the whole city painted in blue color, this place has earned its name. Jodhpur hosts a number of interesting festivals and events in October and one of them is Marwar Festival. Marwar festival celebrates the contribution of the unsung heroes of Rajasthan and tourists can be a part of this festival that takes place in the month of October. The celebration includes folk dances and songs which describe the activities and contribution of the heroes, horse polo, horse riding, and camel tattooing. The other festival you can be a part of is the International Folk Festival which includes folk performances by singers and dancers, fusion performances by local as well as established singers This grand celebration takes place in Mehrangarh Fort and it will just add an extra joyful experience to your travel in India during October.
Image Credit: Rajasthan Tour Package
- Jodhpur has a domestic airport and is connected to every major city of India.
- Jodhpur has good connectivity by railroads also. Trains ply from major cities to Jodhpur.
- By road, various buses are available from Delhi which ply on a daily basis. Other states also have buses towards this city.
Happening On: Marwar Festival: 12th – 13th October 2019 and International Folk Festival: 10th – 14th October 2019
Go Cloister To Cloister In Majestic Hampi
Hampi is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is a group of ruins in Karnataka. This was the capital of the Vijayanagar empire and a visit to the ruins of this majestic marvel will take you back in time. These ruins mark the grand existence of a flourishing settlement at one time. This place showcases the excellence of architecture and gives a hint of the presence of spirituality.
Image Credit: magicpin
Things To Do:
- In the ruins of this city, there are various temples which attract tourists. One of the must-visit temples is the Vittala Temple.
- While here, an experience of Coracle ride, boat ride, and rock climbing is a must.
- Virupaksha temple is also a temple which has been grabbing the attention of various pilgrims over the years. Here you will have the privilege of getting blessed by the temple elephant.
- To have good and tasty food, Mango Tree is such a restaurant that has been run by three generations of the same family.
- Other than this, Hampi has been distributed into two parts in which one depicts the hippie culture and other the ruins of the kingdom.
- Hampi bazaar should be visited and Hampi’s hippie culture has cafes and restaurants.
Since there is no direct connectivity to Hampi, the best way is to reach Bangalore through railways, roadways or even airways. From Bangalore, you can rent a taxi that will take you to Hampi.
Explore The Impeccable Mountain Beauty On Har Ki Doon Trek
One of the top choices of tourists can be Har ki Doon in Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. Adventurers across the world visit this place to enjoy a trek in a dale comprising the nature’s best with rolling hills, gurgling streams and lush meadows and forests. Har ki doon trek is one of the famous and yet beautiful treks in Uttarakhand. The difficulty level of this trek is easy to moderate, which can also be done by novice trekkers with decent fitness.
Image Credit: Pin Img
Things To Do:
- Get the view of the snow-covered peaks of Himalayan range like Swargarohini (staircase to heaven) and visit the Duryodhana Temple.
- Witness the serene beauty of the valley.
- Visit the unexplored places of Garhwal Himalayan range during your trek.
- Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the nearest airport.
- Trains ply from major Indian cities to Dehradun.
- Vehicles visit Dehradun from where one can hop on a bus if he/she is coming by any other means to explore Har ki Doon.
Fall In Love With The Mesmerizing Beauty Of Shillong
Shilong is breadth to eyes and treats to the soul! October is the best month to witness the post-monsoon greeneries giving away a divine feeling. One of the serene getaways Shillong is perfect for holidays and any season can be worth visiting but to witness the lush greeneries October is best to go.
Image Credit: goibibo
Things To Do:
- For the need for serendipity, visit elephant falls.
- Shillong peak gives a good and proper view of the place.
- The nearest airports to Shillong is in Barapani and Guwahati (100 km away).
- The nearest railway station is in Guwahati.
- After reaching Guwahati one can take bus or self-drive to the destination.
Go Wild In The Deep And Dark Sundarbans
Sundarbans are partially the part of India and Bangladesh and is home to the largest range of Bengal Tigers. The prime attraction of this place has always been its majestic creatures such as the royal Bengal Tigers and the world’s largest coastal mangrove forest. The eagerness to spot one of these creatures has been bringing tourists to this place for decades.
Image Credit: National Geographic
Things To Do:
Since it is the end of the rainy season, the sea is alive and you can spot various kinds of fishes and aquatic animals. Other than this, spotting of a royal Bengal Tiger can be done if you chose to go on a ride in the Sundarban National Park.
- To reach Sundarban by air is to reach the nearest airport which Dum Dum Airport in Kolkata at 166 km.
- Since Kolkata has good connectivity, Sundarban National Park can be reached through various buses or taxis from here.
Explore The World’s Largest River Island At Majuli
One of the first island to be declared a district! Located on the Brahmaputra, Assam Majuli is a small group of an island filled with paddy areas, 22 satras (Vishnu monastery where prayers, schooling, and plays are conducted) and some lovely people, this destination offers a lot for the tourists to explore. This offbeat place is a must-visit in October as the monsoon has just ended and you will find the island in its best form.
Image Credit: Majuli Tourism
Things To Do:
- Rent a bike and wander off in the lanes of this island and be a spectator of the culture of this place.
- Tribal lifestyle, farming, Satras are a must-visit.
- Famous satras will help you look at the mask-making process. These masks are used in plays which sometimes depict scenes from Hindu mythology.
- Enjoy the various kinds of birds which migrate during this season.
- Be a part of Ras Mahotsav where the performers mask dance and chant in their native language.
- Visit the museum at Auniati Satra where they have a collection of Ahom royal artifacts.
- The best way to reach this island is through flights to Jorhat. After that, a ferry would take around an hour and then a 10 min bus to reach Major Sapori.
- After reaching Major Sapori, one has to take another ferry and then a bus ride to Majuli.
- If you are not in a mood to take a ferry, Jorhat also has road connectivity to Majuli. ASTC buses ply on a daily basis to the desired destination.
These places are a super unique mix of adventure, thrill, and an unspoiled bunch of compelling spots that are yet to be explored and long for your footsteps. Go ahead and treat yourself as you book a holiday in India, and who knows, they too would be waiting to get mesmerized!
Q. What are the places to visit in October in India with family?
A. October is the time when the monsoon is over and India experiences a favorable climate. With most of the places basking in the beauty of fall and others preparing for upcoming winter, places like Hampi in Karnataka, Kutch in Gujarat, and Digha in West Bengal make for an ideal tourist place to visit with family among other prominent places across India. These places offer opportunities to explore across ages and are best for group tours especially family. For instance, Hampi has architecturally elaborate temples that will please both adults and children. Similarly, the view of glittery white Great Rann of Kutch at night will equally astonish adults and children. Digha, on the other hand, has a beach, marine aquarium and Amarabati Park where the entire family can spend joyous time. October is a pleasant month in India which makes outdoor trips even more comfortable.
Q. What are the best places to visit in October in India near Delhi?
A. Rishikesh, Nainital, Bandhavgarh National Park, Jodhpur, and Spiti are some of the most popular places to visit in October in India near Delhi. Delhi experiences an extreme type of climate when it comes to plains. October is a month when the weather is kind and tripping in the nearby destinations is suitable. These places are perfect for long weekends or festival holidays.
Q. What are the best places to visit in October in south India with friends?
A. Wayanad, Varkala, Mysore, and Hampi become alive with the burst of autumn colors. The pleasant conditions make these places even more exciting to visit in October in south India with close friends. These places have a great scope for road trips, biking, and nature trails, making it ideal for visiting with friends.