Rum, like most alcoholic drinks, is a misunderstood and unsung hero. Sure, alcoholism is a rising problem and it had led to many deaths, broken families and illnesses. But anything in excess is bad. Taken in moderation, alcohol can be helpful and rum is its very tasty kind.
Rum is made from sugar cane juice or its by-product called molasses. When taken in moderation, you not only experience the beverage in a much better fashion than when taken in excess, but you also benefit from some health benefits. Below are a few of the health benefits:
1. Healthy Heart
Rum is beneficial for your heart, and drinking it frequently in moderation can give you a healthy and strong heart. Rum has shown to be a great cure for peripheral heart disease and avoid the formation of artery blockage in the body. According to several studies and researches, it has been proved that the consumption of alcohol also helps to decrease the level of cholesterol in the body.
- Moderate Consumption Boosts Heart Health: Moderate rum intake can increase good HDL cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of heart disease by promoting a healthier lipid profile.
- Antioxidants and Heart Protection: Rum contains antioxidants that fight free radicals, guarding heart cells and vessels, potentially lowering the risk of cardiovascular issues when consumed in moderation.
2. Common Cold
There is nothing seasonal about the common cold, it can quite happen in any weather. While most of us are struggling with common cold as flu, having a small portion of rum can give relief to your throat. You need to drink one or two spoons of rum every day and this will help to treat the common cold. Due to anti-bacterial property, rum helps to heal cold quickly.
- Soothing Effect: Rum, when consumed in moderation, can provide temporary relief from the symptoms of common cold, such as sore throat and cough, due to its soothing and warming properties.
- Promotes Sleep: A warm rum drink before bed can help relax the body and promote better sleep, aiding the body's natural healing process during a common cold episode.
3. Sore Muscles
People who are continually dealing with muscle pain should certainly depend on rum to treat their muscle pain completely. A periodic consumption of Old Monk helps to increase the bone mineral in the body which further helps in giving you relief from muscle pain easily.
- Rum's Alcoholic Properties: Rum, when consumed in moderation, can act as a muscle relaxant, helping to ease tension and reduce soreness after physical activity.
- Increased Blood Flow: The warmth generated by rum consumption can dilate blood vessels, enhancing blood circulation to sore muscles, promoting faster recovery and alleviating discomfort.
4. Keep Scurvy Away
Rum is the only drink that helps to keep scurvy at home as compared to some more alcoholic beverage. Due to its medicinal properties, Old Monk was served to British soldiers so that they are protected against scurvy. Other than British soldiers, those with low immunity are also suggested they take a peg or two of the drink.
- Rich Vitamin C Content: Rum contains vitamin C, which helps prevent scurvy by promoting collagen production, vital for healthy gums and skin.
- Historical Naval Use: Sailors in the past drank rum on long sea voyages, ensuring a vitamin C source, effectively keeping scurvy at bay due to its citrus origins.
5. Effective Antiseptic
In a survival situation, rum can be used as an antiseptic. You can use it to clean wounds and help prevent bacteria from growing. It can also help reduce feelings of pain when applied topically (as well as ingested).
- Rum's High Alcohol Content: The high alcohol content in rum acts as a potent antiseptic, effectively killing bacteria and disinfecting wounds or surfaces.
- Natural Antimicrobial Properties: Rum contains natural antimicrobial compounds that enhance its antiseptic properties, making it useful for cleaning and sanitizing various surfaces and skin.
6. Can Improve Your Libido
Moderate drinking of rum has been confirmed to protect against erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction is reduced by 25-30% to those taking rum but in a moderate manner. However, one is not recommended to start drinking as the research is still ongoing.
- Rum's Relaxing Effect: Rum, when consumed in moderation, can relax the mind and body, reducing stress and anxiety, which in turn enhances libido and sexual desire.
- Increased Blood Flow: Certain compounds in rum can dilate blood vessels, improving circulation and leading to better blood flow to intimate areas, thereby boosting sexual arousal and libido.
7. Offers Longevity & Nutritional Benefits
In every 100 grams of rum consumed, you get 230 calories. This proves that it comprises no carbohydrates or fats. Moderated consumption of rum is proven to increase a person’s average lifespan by 3-5 years. This is achievable as rum consumption leads to the reduction of anxiety and decreases the risks of one getting Dementia or Alzheimer, hence leading to an increment in the average lifespan of a person.
- Longevity Boost: Rum, when consumed in moderation, is linked to reduced stress and improved heart health, contributing to a longer life.
- Nutritional Benefits: It contains antioxidants and trace minerals, enhancing immune function and providing a modest array of nutrients when enjoyed responsibly.
8. Reduces The Risk of Gallstones
Drinking two units of rum will effectively decrease the risk of gallstones by a third. The study proved that those who consumed rum with a lot of moderation were certain to enjoy healthier than those who drank it with no moderation.
- Rum's moderate consumption boosts HDL cholesterol, reducing gallstone formation risk by improving gallbladder function and bile flow.
- The antioxidants in rum prevent cholesterol crystallization, lowering the likelihood of gallstones, promoting a healthier gallbladder and digestive system.
9. Rum For De-Stressing
Knocking back a cocktail is one of the most time-honored ways to chill after a stressful day of work. Alcohol, including rum, acts as a depressant that reduces the central nervous system. In other words, it’s a sedative.
- Relaxation Elixir: Rum's soothing warmth helps calm nerves, promoting relaxation and easing stress, making it an effective de-stressing agent in moderation.
- Mindful Escape: Enjoying a glass of rum in moderation encourages mindfulness, slowing down the mind and body, creating a serene environment that aids in stress relief.
10. Rum For Immunity
In addition to its warming, calming qualities, rum is rich in antimicrobial properties that can help knock out the common cold. The British Army was actually known to give its sailors rum for preventing scurvy (a disease caused by vitamin C deficiency); it was the lime in the rum that did the trick, but we still say bottoms up to a rum toddy for a nightcap.
- Antioxidant Boost: Rum contains antioxidants like polyphenols, which help strengthen the immune system by neutralizing harmful free radicals, reducing oxidative stress, and supporting overall cellular health.
- Moderate Consumption Benefits: Moderate rum consumption has been linked to improved cardiovascular health, potentially lowering the risk of heart disease and indirectly supporting immunity by maintaining a healthy circulatory system.
So, next time you’re debating which cocktail to order, consider what rum has to offer.
Q: Is rum a low-calorie alcoholic choice?
A: Yes, rum generally has fewer calories than other spirits and cocktails, making it a relatively lower-calorie option when consumed in moderation.
Q: Does rum have any potential medicinal uses?
A: Some studies suggest rum can help alleviate cold symptoms, acting as a natural decongestant when consumed responsibly.
Q: Can rum improve digestion?
A: Rum, when consumed in moderation, may aid digestion and alleviate stomach issues due to its natural spices and relaxing effect on the body.
Q: Does rum have any stress-relieving properties?
A: Moderate rum consumption can have a relaxing effect on the body and mind, potentially reducing stress levels when consumed responsibly.
Q: Is rum a good option for individuals with diabetes?
A: Rum, when consumed in moderation, might have a lower glycemic index compared to other sugary alcoholic beverages, making it a better choice for individuals with diabetes.