Whether you're one of those people who seems to catch everything, or you simply want to ward off Covid19 and strengthen your immunity, the food you eat can make a major difference. Every day, your immune warriors rely on critical nutrients to boost themselves so they can promptly pounce on illness-causing invaders.
However, in the real world, getting all of the essential nutrients we require to stay healthy can be difficult. Try making these immune-boosting receipes if you want to keep off the sofa and out of the doctor's office (fingers crossed). They're packed with antioxidants to help you stay healthy. And they only take a few minutes to prepare!
Here are a few simple recipes to get you started.
1. Ginger, Carrot, Orange Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 ½ cup sliced red onions
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 oranges, peeled and halved
- Peel of ¼ orange
- 1 Tbsp. ground turmeric
- ⅛ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of coriander
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Put ½ cup of the broth in the skillet and heat slightly.
- Add the carrots, onions, and ginger and cook, stirring for about 10 minutes or until the carrots and onions are soft.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining broth, beans, oranges, orange peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, salt, and pepper. Puree in a blender in batches until smooth.
- Transfer the soup to a large pot and heat gently. Serve the soup hot.
Image Courtesy: Nutrition Stripped
2. Super Immune-Boosting Soup
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 12 cups water
- Cabbage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- Heat Olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add in mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes or until mushrooms have wilted.
- Add in spices (including ginger, if using) and water and bring to a boil.
- Then let simmer, covered for 1 hour or in a crock-pot for 3-4 hours on low.
- Add cabbage in the last 10 minutes of cooking to wilt.
- Serve warm or store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Image Courtesy: Archana's Kitchen
3. Thyme Roasted Almonds
- 400 gm roasted, salted almonds
- 2 teaspoons good Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the almonds, olive oil, thyme, and kosher salt on a sheet pan and toss together.
- Roast the almonds for 10 to 15 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes with a metal spatula, until they are lightly browned.
- Watch them carefully, they burn very easily.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, toss and set aside to cool, serve at room temperature.
Image Courtesy: Inspired Taste
4. Green Cold Fighting Smoothie
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 ripe apple, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage leaves, stems removed
- ½ cup orange juice, cold or frozen, no sugar added
- ½ cup cold water 12 ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed or flax meal
- ½ Tbsp. ground turmeric
- Place bananas, apple, kale, orange juice, water, ice cubes, flaxseed, and turmeric in a blender.
- Pulse a few times, then puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
Image Courtesy: Organic Authority
5. Lemony Ginger Turmeric Tea
- 1 cup water
- ¼-inch sliced ginger root
- ¼-inch sliced turmeric root
- ¼ diced lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, combine water, sliced ginger root, turmeric root, and lemon.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour liquid through a strainer, discarding ginger, turmeric, and lemon.
- Stir in honey and 1 lemon juice. Serve daily.
Image Courtesy: The Healthy Tart
Your immune system is critical to your overall health. It's your own barrier against illness, infection, and disease. And, as we confront everyday obstacles as a result of COVID-19, it's more crucial than ever to keep your immune system in top shape. So, don't be a slacker and try these recipes right now!