All good things come to those who wait but all the better things come to those who have a microwave oven at home. And by better, I mean delightful cakes, heavenly pizzas, scrummy mac & cheese and so much more. You'll be surprised to know that this cooking-made-easy tool was no more than an accidental discovery 75 years ago. And look at how the time changes; microwave ovens have now become a serious game-changer appliance in every kitchen. From just heating the leftovers to baking tasteful desserts, you just press some buttons and clink, clank, ting... the food is ready.
Since lockdown is making you juggle work from home life with menial household jobs like cooking, cleaning, etc., why not put these microwave oven for a test one more time? So, here's what's going to happen...I am going to spell out 6 recipes that you can easily make in 5-minutes using a microwave oven at home and you'll only have to worry about #WFHLife and cleaning for the rest of quarantine days.
1. Omelette In A Mug
A kickstart for your day or a quick snack for the lazy evenings, an omelette in a mug is a blessing we all needed to survive the lockdown. This easy to make dish is a storehouse of protein and other nutrients which makes it a healthy meal you can have around the clock.
Image Courtesy: Land O'Lakes
1 tablespoon Milk
1/2 cup freshly chopped Veggies
2-3 tablespoon Cheese of your choosing
Salt & pepper for seasoning
How To Make Omelette In A Mug?
1. Take a microwave-safe mug and crack open both the eggs in it.
2. Add the milk, freshly chopped veggies such as onion, tomato, capsicum, etc. and cheese in the mug.
3. Now add salt and pepper to taste and stir well.
4. Let it cook in the microwave oven for 1 to 2 minutes but keep an eye on it.
5. Once ready and fluffy, garnish with spring onions or coriander and devour hot.
2. Mac & Cheese In A Mug
Mac & cheese in a mug is basically the smartest manoeuvre that nobody really cared about before lockdown. More than an easy-to-make recipe that will fill your belly as well as your heart, this cupful goodness is the perfect hack to mindfully quantify the ingredients used.
Image Courtesy: Framed Cooks
1/2 cup Macaroni
1/2 cup Water
Pinch of Salt
Splash of Milk
1/4 cup Cheese
Pepper to taste
How To Make Mac & Cheese In A Mug?
1. Take the macaroni in a microwave-safe mug and empty the water in it. Also, add a pinch of salt in the same and stir.
2. Microwave heat it for 2-3 minutes to soften the macaroni.
3. Add a splash of milk, cheese and pepper in the heated mug. Stir well.
4. Microwave for another 30 seconds and so. Stir again and garnish it with finely chopped spring onions. A hot meal in 5 minutes.
3. Dhokla In A Mug
If going desi meant we could home-make dhoklas in a mug, I would've gone all Indian years ago. Well, it's not too late now. For all the people who love Indian snacks but are frightened to cook them at home, this simple dish will serve the purpose really well.
Image Courtesy: YouTube
1 cup Besan
1/3 teaspoon Turmeric
1/4 teaspoon Asafetida (Hing)
1 teaspoon Ginger chilli paste
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon powdered sugar
1/2 cup Curd
1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
2 tablespoon Fruit salt
2 tablespoon Water
1 teaspoon oil
8-10 Curry leaves
2 Green chillis
1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1/4 cup Water
How To Make Dhokla In A Mug?
1. In a bowl add besan, turmeric, asafoetida, ginger chilli paste, salt, powdered sugar, curd, vegetable oil and mix well.
2. Prepare a smooth batter by adding water bit by bit if needed.
3. Add fruit salt and water in the batter and mix gently.
4. Now pour the batter in a microwave-safe mug and let it heat for 3 1/2 minutes but do keep an eye to avoid any accidents.
5. In a heated pan add 1 teaspoon oil along with mustard seeds. Let it crackle and then add curry leaves and green chillis. Saute the ingredients nicely and finally add 1/4 cup water in it. Let it boil.
6. Give the final touch to your dhokla by pouring tadka from step 5 over the fluffy baked batter. Refrigerate for 20 minutes and serve.
4. Pizza In A Mug
The only time Microwave minutes seem longer than usual is when our pizza in a mug is spinning circles in the restricted area of the microwave oven. One thing that I love most about this quick dish is; there is no limit to how many toppings you wish to put in the mug.
Image Courtesy: Bigger Bolder Baking
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 tablespoon Baking powder
1/8 tablespoon Baking Soda
6 tablespoon Milk
2 tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 cup Vegetables of your choice
Oregano & Chilli flakes
How to make Pizza In A Mug?
1. Get a microwave-safe mug and fill it with half a cup white flour, 1/2 tablespoon baking powder, 1/8th tablespoon baking soda, a pinch of salt, 2 tablespoon olive oil and 6 tablespoons milk. Now mix it up real nice.
2. Apply the batter on the sides of the remaining mug and add a layer of pizza sauce.
3. Get your veggies like onion, bell peppers, olives, etc and place it on the sauce.
4. Mug half full? Now fill the rest with mozzarella cheese. And lot's of it.
5. Microwave it for 3 and a half minute. Garnish the mug with oregano and chilli flakes. Grab a spoon and attack!
5. Chocolate Cake In A Mug
If chocolates are certified mood boosters then imagine what a well-baked easy-to-make chocolate cake would do to you? I understand that this isn't the most healthy option but it is the only way we can keep working from home without breaking down.
Image Courtesy: Food Network
3 tablespoon Flour
2 tablespoon Sugar
2 tablespoon Cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking powder
Pinch of Salt
3 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla essence
2 tablespoon Vegetable oil
How To Make Chocolate Cake In A Mug?
1. Take a microwave-safe mug and add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and with the help of a fork mix it well.
2. Now add milk, vanilla essence and oil in the mixture and stir well. Make a smooth batter out of it.
3. Add a few chocolate chunks and stir the batter.
4. Micro heat the batter for 1 minute but do keep an eye on it.
5. Garnish the outcome with powdered sugar and/or chocolate syrup and the cake is ready.
6. French Toast In A Mug
5 dishes ago a mug was just a mug and french toast was just another toast. Don't you see, how a microwave oven and electricity to innovate can make all the difference? Now french toast in a mug is a lot simpler than it sounds and you'll definitely be proud of this one. Remember us when that happens!
Image Courtesy: Pretty Prudent
2 Bread slices
2 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoon Milk
Pinch of Cinnamon
How To Make French Toast In A Mug?
1. In a microwave-safe mug take the butter and melt it. Slide the mug to let the butter grease the entire mug.
2. Cut bread slices into small pieces and put them in the mug. Smush gently.
3. In a different mug, crack open the egg, add milk, cinnamon and mix well.
4. Now empty the mug from step 3 in the mug from step 2. Gently smush the bread but not too hard.
5. Allow the bread to soak the eggy goodness and heat it in the microwave oven for 1 1/2 minutes. Although keep an eye to avoid burning and add chocolate/maple syrup to the toast. Serve hot.
From morning to night, from breakfast to dessert everything can be homemade in a microwave oven. All you need is 5 minutes and that can-do attitude.